One 4 pound chicken, cut into 4 pieces
1 quart water
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 pint cherry tomatoes
3 habanero peppers, seeded
4 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
Recipe Yield: Serves 6
- Combine water, kosher salt and sugar in a saucepan over low heat; cook until sugar and salt dissolve, 4 to 5 minutes. Set asided to cool to room temperature.
- Score the skin of each piece of chicken 2 to 3 times, about 1/8 inch deep. Place chicken pieces in a large bowl or lidded container.
- Puree cherry tomatoes, habanero peppers, garlic and allspice with the salt and sugar mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Pour tomato brine over chicken pieces, making sure all pieces are covered. Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken pieces and transfer to a plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels. Pat chicken pieces dry with more paper towels.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grates.
- Combine the thyme, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper and oil in a small bowl.
- Brush each chicken piece with thyme and oil mixture.
- Cook chicken, skin side down, on the preheated grill for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn each piece and move to indirect heat. Cook until well-browned and meat is no longer pink in the center, 30 to 35 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Brush each piece with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. Transfer to a plate and allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving.