1, 13.5 oz box of macaroni or similar pasta
1 cup Fly Creek Cider Mill Original Hard Cider
3 tablespoons unsalted butter plus more for greasing the pan
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 New York State-Grown apple peeled, cored and diced
1 yellow onion finely diced
1 1/2 pounds of Mill-Aged, Extra-Sharp New York State Cheddar Cheese - grated
1 cup heavy cream
- Hard Cider Mac 'n' Cheese
- Prepare pasta according to directions on box.
- Meanwhile, to prepare your cheese sauce, in a medium sauce pan, over medium-low heat, add butter, onions and apples.
- Saute for approximately 5-10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over them mixing continuously until the flour has coated all of the onions and apples. (It should appear pasty).
- Slowly pour in cider, whisking constantly, followed by the cream.
- Bring the mixture up to a boil.
- When boiling, add approximately 3/4 of the cheese stirring constantly until it has melted into the sauce.
- Pour cheese sauce over the cooked and strained pasta and if necessary, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a medium baking dish.
- Top with left over cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the sides are bubbly.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.